We look forward to this time of year, a time spent with friends and family, a time of joy and cheer. However we have all experienced an abundance of work parties, children’s school functions, neighbors parties, baked goods, gooey treats, abundance of high calorie beverages, as well as your own holiday spread. This can all add up to dangerous pounds.
I know what you are thinking; the holidays would not be the same without a little indulgence. Fear not, with my tips you can still enjoy the holidays and avoid the weight gain trap.
- Make your plan just before the holidays start. Go ahead and add in a little extra exercise. I always feel a little better knowing I just did a killer workout with a party to attend to that evening.
- The party is a treat – not a cheat. Eat a small healthy meal prior to heading out.
- Eat from a Small Plate or cocktail napkin. Then wait 10 minutes after you have eaten before heading back.
- Fill your small plate with lean meats, veggies, and fruit before heading to the desserts.
- Bring your favorite healthy dish to share. If your parties are like mine it usually is the healthy. stuff that gets eaten first.
- Watch the high calorie drinks. Alternate with a glass of water.
- Chew on a stick of gum or mint.
- Don’t stand next to the food table – move away and mingle somewhere else.
- Eat slowly and enjoy every bite.
- Show-off your successes with a new holiday outfit.
- Say “No Thank you, I could not have another bite”
Keep your holiday goals simple, don’t plan for perfection. Don’t plan on going for a strict diet over the holidays but do try and eat more veggies and fruits. Remember tomorrow is another day to get right back into your exercise routine. Every calorie burned, every bead of sweat endured pays off in the end – No Excuses!