I love Burpees If you have little to no time to exercise – I have your answer, Do Burpees! It is the one exercise that rules them all. There is a reason why football teams. CrossFit practitioners, and elite military forces all use the burpee in their workouts. This one movement tests both your strength and aerobic capacity. In fact Burpee was one of the exercises listed as the top 10 fitness trends of 2014. You can read that list here
The benefits of a burpee are as follows:
Strength. The burpee is a full body strength training exercise. Each repetition will work your arms, chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, legs, and abs.
Fat Burning. Studies have shown that high intensity movements, like the burpee, burn up to 50% more fat than conventional exercises. Burpees will speed up your metabolism and help you burn more calories. Get off the dreadmill and start doing some burpees.
Free. There are no fancy gizmos, classes or gym memberships required to perform a burpee. All you need is your body, and a floor space.
Portable. You can do this exercise anywhere. Hotel room, in a park, rest stop, and at your in-laws.
To perform a basic burpee, follow these steps:
- Begin in a squat position, feet are flat on the floor, and your hands on the floor just in front of you.
- Kick your feet back to a pushup position.
- Do a full push-up.
- Immediately return your feet to the squat position.
- Jump up as high as possible from the squat position.
Perform the burpee in a quick succession to get the full benefits they are famous for.
Simple Burpee workouts:
- As many Burpees as possible in 2 minutes. 5 minutes. Dare attempt 7 minutes.
- Tabata Style Burpees. 20 seconds of Burpees, 10 seconds of rest until you have done 8 rounds.
- The Burpee Ladder. Start with 10 burpees, rest 60 seconds. 9 burpees, rest 60 seconds, and so on until you have reached 1 burpee
- Get the hubby and kids involved. See how many burpees you can perform during the commercials of your favorite television show.
Get off the couch and perform some burpees. Let me know how you did.